The Dickinson Fund
The Dickinson Fund, comprised of proceeds from the sale of the Betty Dickinson property in 2012, currently resides in federally insured certificates of deposit. A committee was formed and charged with developing a process by which the congregation might respond to the challenge and opportunity this fund presents.
The rector charged the committee, as follows:
- Because we are a church, we are seeking God's guidance in this work. It is a work of discernment, that is, a thoughtful seeking of what it is that God wants for us to do with this resource.
- Since our work is to discern the will of God, rather than taking a poll of the congregation, we expect to organize a series of conversations, but probably not debates. We will strive to think and act like a church, which is different from the way other institutions and organizations function.
- Your role is not to decide what the will of God is for this gift, but to develop a process by which St. Elizabeth's Church can come to a sense of that will of God.
- We don't have a deadline, but it would be great if a consensus emerged by the summer of 2015.
- The final decision will be made by the Vestry, the group legally empowered to act in financial matters on behalf of the parish.
Dickinson Fund Discernment Committee
Charged with identifying the principles that have shaped St. Elizabeth's identity so as to be helpful guides when looking at the future and the best use of the Dickinson Fund resources, the Dickinson Fund Discernment Committee initially held a series of meetings in early 2014 as part of its charge to develop a process by which the congregation might respond to the challenge and opportunity presented by the sale of the former residence of Betty D.
The purpose of these discussions was to gather input about St. Elizabeth’s core values, goals, and vision as we embark on the final decade of our first century as a parish community.
The committee reviewed and discussed process models and best practices that have been used by other churches and non-profit organizations in deciding what to do with significant gifts.
Please note: These documents are password-protected. If you are a member of St. Elizabeth's Church and need access to the password, please contact the Church Office (email@example.com) or Communications Administrator Debra Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Vestry Approves DFDC Recommendations
The Vestry voted unanimously at a special meeting on May 24 to approve the Dickinson Fund Discernment Committee for Phase Two's recommendations for using the approximately $1.7 million proceeds from the sale of the Betty Dickinson property in 2012. The Vestry's decision is the culmination of three years of work by two separate discernment committees. Click here for more information.
Click here to read the 4.24.16 update.
Click here to read the 3.20.16 update.
Click here to read the 3.13.16 update.
Click here to read the 3.06.16 update.
Click here to read the 2.21.16 update.
Click here to read the 10.11.15 update.
Click here to read the 10.04.15 update.
Click here to read the 9.27.15 update.
Click here to read the 12.14 update.
Click here to read a letter to the parish dated March 6, 2015, regarding the process of submitting ideas for use of the Dickinson Fund.